Sunday, January 27, 2008

Two weeks later, a rambling post...

Well, it has been a while, and for that I apologize. We have been really getting settled and trying to adjust to life here. I won’t replay every bit of our last few weeks, but it’s been interesting.
The kids are settling into life here, and each day gets a bit easier for me in caring for them. Managing the occasional tantrum or running away towards the street while getting in the car, and the ensuing heart attack that induces not withstanding, they are in good form.
The wife is of course doing great in her new position and is settling in there.
Our search for a new church may have finally ended, right where it started, back at the Cathedral in Honolulu. While the twins are a little too young for their church school program, which PALES in comparison to what we had back at Trinity, I think it is the best option we have. That, and after 7 weeks and 6 churches, I’m tired of looking. I’d like to stay somewhere and take the chance that we can develop a relationship with the place. I am in awe of how great things were for us and the kids in that regard at Trinity in NJ. That place was far more special then I realized. But, I am hopeful that we will fit in at the Cathedral.
Hawaii is a beautiful, yet confusing place. It is overwhelmingly beautiful, almost shockingly so, at times. Everyone talks about the “aloha spirit” and while people have been nice, it is clear to me that for the time being, we are outsiders. This is not to say that people are rude-far from it. In general, we have been very well-received, but there are moments when the reaction we get from what are, to us, simple interactions, are head-scratching. There have been moments where I have tried to engage people in conversation, only to have them stare at me, as though I’d not spoken at all. I’ve been reading more on local culture and custom, but I will admit that this particular response, which I’ve experienced a few times is irritating to me. I am hopeful that this will ease somewhat after we’ve been here longer.
Saturday Night Live was a rerun last night, and Jon Bon Jovi was the host. Made me a lil homesick…But this too shall pass. I’m ramblin now, so that’s all I have to say about that.

No comments: