Saturday, January 5, 2008

As it stands currently: Aloha Spirit: 0; New Jersey Attitude: 1

Thursday, January3: Well, you can take the guy out of Jersey…Now, before you get too excited, it’s not that big a deal, but we had a little incident at the Library today. We all stopped by to have the kids pick a few DVD’s and maybe visit the kids area before taking everyone home for dinner. The boy decided that this would be an appropriate time for a tantrum, and let a spectacular one fly. Well, that set off the baby, and we made a direct line for the exit.

The wife took the boy out, screaming the entire way, and left ahead of me, while I walked down with the girls. As I moved towards the exit, the fun began-an older gentleman took the moment to loudly complain to the security guard about my kid. He of course didn’t know that I was his father, and went on for a minute before I was faced with a choice.

Do I embrace the Aloha spirit and just let it go? Or, do I call this guy out?

Well, as I said, you can take me outta Jersey, but I wasn’t about to let this one go.

As I approached, I asked him, very politely if I could help him with something, as that was my kid he was talking about. He continued his rant about how ‘you see it more and more these days…” to which I replied “see what?” He faltered there, so I said “the kid had a tantrum, we left. Why don’t you pass judgment on someone else?” I didn’t raise my voice or swear (the girls were with me, so I was very appropriate…) He stammered a bit more about it being a library, to which I replied, “Are you a parent?” His reply of, “I most certainly am.” I’ll admit surprised me, but I went with it, asking “Well, didn’t your children ever throw a tantrum?” He assured me that they had but that he “Never put my children in socially unacceptable situations, and we handled things.”

Keep in mind, we are in a public library, with an extensive children’s section.

At this point, the librarian came over, and thanked the gentleman for his concern, but that she thought we had handled it fine. He left in a huff.

I thanked the librarian, and to be honest, I’m glad she came over, as I was really irritated by his last comment. I’ve absolutely had it with some of the looks and comments I get from people, like the lady in the supermarket that rolled her eyes at us shopping, saying “three kids, what are they thinking?” Or even better, the stranger at the Zoo the other day that asked me, after I had told her that yes; the 3 year olds are twins, if the baby was planned after we already had twins. Or the people that ask “Did you want so many?” Or “did you take drugs or something?” Or “Did she deliver vaginally?” These are strangers…but I digress.

OK, so let the rant continue: or the cowardly lady downstairs, who again complained to the manager about us, rather than call me and talk to me directly, and yes, I gave the front desk my number to give to her. Just be a human being and talk to us if there’s a problem. I’d have bought the lady headphones or something, or adjusted their schedules if it meant being a better neighbor, but she won’t give us that chance.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’ll be the first person to question a parent allowing a child to just go off without taking action. I can assure you that neither I nor the wife simply let them go off-we either settle them or remove them. I know, better than anyone, how irritating it can be when they go off, but I am not about to lock them in a room and wait for them to go to school. We have only been here 23 days, we are cramped in a two-bedroom apartment, and we are all adjusting as best we can. All things considered, the kids are doing very well, and as I spend more time with them then anyone these days, I feel quite qualified to judge that.

That said, I understand that people don’t know us or our situation, and just react how they react. But I think it took a lot of nerve for this guy at the library to call me out as a parent because my kid threw a tantrum. It happens. He’s three. We left. Get over it dude. I’m supposed to not take them anywhere because he’s three?

Maybe I should have let it go, but I couldn’t let this guy badmouth my kid right in front of me. I know how irritating it can be to hear a kid scream (trust me, I know), especially in a quiet place like a library, which is why we left immediately. I could see if we were letting it go on and on and not doing anything about it. The kid went off-we left. End of problem.

So, the moral of the story is that I might be in Hawaii, but there’s plenty of Jersey in me. I may not be the world’s best dad, but I won’t accept the judgment of this dude.

After all… my boy, later that same evening, participated in the following exchange with me during bath time. We were talking about turtles, and I’ve been trying to teach them some words in Hawaiian, including Honu, which is Hawaiian for turtle. His sister has really embraced it, but he’s been less interested in Hawaiian words, except for Ohana.

Me: “So, Boyo, how do you say ‘turtle’ in Hawaiian?”
He thought for a moment and says, matter of factly: “Turtle in Hawaiian.”

And then he smirked. He knew it was funny. He is definitely my kid.

And right or wrong, I’m always going to stand up for them.

Addendum: Saturday evening: Girls went to see “The Bee Movie” while the Boyo and I went to visit the USS Missouri at Pearl Harbor. He’s still a bit young for the Arizona Memorial, but we had a great time exploring the USS Missouri, which as you may recall was the sight of the Japanese surrender during WWII. We are going to try to do more with them separately, as I think it makes a difference in the twins temperament, especially while they are still sharing a room. We hope that our stuff arrives this Wednesday. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Some people!! Grrrrrr...