Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day Two: Writer's Digest Conference, NYC

I am exhausted. It has been a very long day.

But it has been a good day. I had the chance today at the "pitch slam" event to present myself and my novel to five agents, all of whom liked me enough to request a formal submission of text. I'd never done a pitch before, and although I will admit I had some nerves, once I got started, I felt like this was something I could really do.

So, today was a real success for me. Now, the agents I met with today may look at my work and decide it's not for them, but for me, stepping ever so carefully into the publishing world, one that I freely admit I am new to, was the real goal here, and I feel like, even if these agents don't turn into partners for me now, I've shown that I can represent myself and my work in a positive way. And maybe there's a place for me.

After the pitches were over, a large contingent of us discovered the hotel bar and did our best to stimulate the economy. A group of us ended up going to dinner and then to some other hotel with a good view before we all went our own ways. It was a lot of fun just allowing the social gravity of it all to move us into an adventurous evening, and I hope to be able to describe it better tomorrow, but for now, I'm too tired to emote.

I'm pau. But, regardless of the next step in the process, it was a good, very good, and significant day.

1 comment:

momto5minnies said...

Sounds like a wonderful and productive day with hopefully some great things coming your way soon.