Friday, January 21, 2011

Day one, part one: Writer's Digest Conference, NYC

I am in New York for the first time in at least 4-5 years. Registration at the conference starts in about 30 minutes.

There are over 400 attendees and somewhere near 50 agents expected. In all honest, I'm not certain what to expect. The topics are all interesting to me and the chance to pitch the novel to working agents is a real special one.

Having never done it before, there are moments of uncertainty as I prepare to do so. I've read every blog I could find on the subject of pitching to an agent, most of which were genuinely helpful. But, the truth is I've never done it.

But then, the one common theme I've discovered in reading up on this process and industry is that, in the end, it's about developing a relationship. I'm selling two things this weekend-the novel of course, but myself just as much.

I have a lot to learn about this industry. That I will know more in a few days is for certain. What it thinks of me is as yet unknown.


So, game face on. More to come. Aloha.

No comments: