Wednesday, April 9, 2008

So, how have things Changed?

Someone asked me this the other day, in reference to how things have changed since I left my career in educational administration to take care of the kids. Things have changed a lot since we moved here, but the first thing that came to mind at that moment was: I have very different conversations now.

By way of example, here are some recent subjects that I have engaged in active conversation with others. The lines in quotes are things that I have actually said recently. Explanation or riffing will be added where appropriate. You can decide for yourself if things have changed.

1) “Is there anything better for cleaning than the “Mr. Clean Magic Eraser?”
-No there isn’t. This one was easy.

2) “You vacuum your house every day? I thought I was uber-dad because I do it twice a week!”
-She has very hairy pets though…although especially now that the bear is dropping food all over, I really could vacuum daily. But, I don’t.

3) “We had fun at Gymboree, but it just got to be too expensive, and we’ve found other outlets.”
-Well, it was, and we have. The first few months here would have been tough without them though. Plus, I have some issues with the way they structure their classes.

4) “Oh, the Honolulu Zoo is WAY better than the Waikiki Aquarium!”
-Not even close. The Zoo is huge, and has both a playground and a “Kid Zoo” on the grounds. The aquarium is essentially 4 fish and a piece of coral for twice the price and no food on the grounds. Took us 12 minutes to walk through. We were members of the NJ State Aquarium, went there loads of times, and still have not seen it all.

5) “Well, if you notice anything different about us here at Chili’s tonight, we are in the midst of “MARGARITA MADNESS!”
-Well, we are. Check your local Chili’s for details. I’ve sold nearly 40 so far.

6) “Well, your MOMS group are the only group that called or wrote me back…so, sign me up.”
-They were, and I did. I am now a member of the MOMS group in our area. We had a new member breakfast today, and it was nice-a lot of other moms who have kids in our kids age brackets, and they hold a lot of monthly events that I think our kids will get a lot out of, plus they run a cooperative babysitting program…stay tuned.

7) “Folding the check? I didn’t know that.”
-I had a customer last week who’s bill came to $29.28. She left $30.28 in the Check Presenter, waited on her $1 change, took it and left. I was irritated. I mentioned this to one of the more veteran servers and she said that in some cultures, Asian in this case, if the check is folded, it is a sign that gratuity is not included. If it is not folded, there is an assumption that it has been included. I wasn’t sure about this, but I’ve started doing it and have not been stiffed since. In fact, the day after “the dollar incident” I had the best night I’ve has since I started there. Sold 15 Margaritas alone that night…

8) “Well, the SAFEWAY diapers are crap, but their all-surface cleaner is really pretty good.”
-Safeway is akin to ACME back home. The rest is just true.

9) “The Kapolei Library’s Storytime is MUCH better than the one in our town.”

10) “Big Kids who go to preschool with other big kids use the potty.”
-The training continues and does not go well.

11) “How do Princesses dance?”
-I was then shown. It was lovely.

12) “Of course Panda Bear can wear her seatbelt.”

13) “Well, the only two parks on the island that have any shade at all are at the Zoo, and the Makakilo park, but only if you go in the mid afternoon.”

14) “Why did our community pool have to order pool parts form the mainland? Hawaii doesn’t have enough pools and water-related attractions to warrant one pool store?”
-Still waiting on the answer to this one.

15) “Oh, cool! It’s raining!”
-Although of course the weather is lovely-the same of anything gets tiresome without reprieve.

16) “WOO! The Flyers made the playoffs!”
-Series starts, and will air here on Friday! Regrettably, I was the only one who seemed to care. The boy said “wow, Daddy” but I think he was just being nice.

17) “Only psychological”
-This was my response to our teller at Safeway the other day, who asked if I “needed any help,” as I was checking out with a cart full of groceries and three screaming kids. She thought it was funny.

That’s all I can think of now. I’m sure there are others. Enjoy.

No comments: