Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Moving forward, and yes, I was overthinking it...

I appreciate all of the feedback I received after my last posting. The general consensus was that I needed to get a grip about my writing about family issues. Some family and a friend, both in Europe, in particular really brought the issue home for me.

In a nutshell, I need to relax and remember that this column was supposed to be a fun outlet. Also, if a situation that I'm writing about won't be helped by writing about it, I probably shouldn't publish on it. So, going forward I hope to still write about important things in our lives, but will likely keep a few things in house, despite how important they may be to my life and family.

And if this space stops being fun, it will be time to move on from it. I don't think that time is here yet...

I thought in that vein I would revisit a column from the old days where I discussed things I've actually said recently as it relates to my days as a full time stay at home dad, which I am pleased to say I have been doing now for going on four years.

1) "Nobody needs to see your bottom!"

Said in response to all three of my children at different times, circumstances, and regrettably, locations during the last month. That might be worth its own column.

2) "I don't want to hear one more poopie buttbutt fart poop bottom diaper stupidhead comment come out of you mouths!"

See comments for #1 unfortunately.

3) "Well, I actually do have a job..."

My reply to an inquisitive kindergartener who lives in my house. He wondered why I don't have a job like Mom. I explained that I had chosen to stay home and take care of them. Not sure what he thought of it, but his sister happily chimed in that she was glad I was home. That was cool.

4) "I am NOT a pogo stick!"

The Bear, my youngest, was treating my foot like one. It was unpleasant.

5) "Well, for my money, Trader Joes is far superior to Wegmans."

Said in discssion with a few of my colleagues last week. Was a point of contention with a few but was amicably debated. I'm right though, and not just because of "three buck chuck."

6) "Is there any chance you will stop treating my foot like playground equipment?"

Said a minute ago as I write this. The Bear is being persnickety today.

7) "I'll give you a dollar and a Dora if you take a nap."

Me to the Bear, yesterday. She respectfully declined my offer. Tougher than the NFL labor crisis...

8) "Yes you do!"

My reply to the Bear who claimed she didn't want to play tball as she does not in fact like it. She respectfully disagreed at the top of her lungs through the fourth inning.


I may post more later but Karate class is over and I've got to get back to work. Until then, thank you for reading.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Ha-ha. Love #1. We aren't there yet, but I'm sure it's just around the corner. Gave me a good laugh this morning. Enjoy your work today! :)