Friday, January 23, 2009

Preview of coming attractions, and, Expanding on an idea from Facebook

Our entire family has been quite ill with a nasty stomach bug the last week, and things have been very busy in the weeks prior to this one, with a trip to the Big Island, and kid ballet, karate, and preschool classes getting started after the New Year, that I've not had much time to write.

I have some good stuff I wrote old-school style (read: in a notebook) while on the Big Island, including two pieces that I've not yet finished editing. One explores the interesting experience of seeing another Hawaiian island. The other is actually a piece that really surprised me. For some reason, I was inspired to write about two experiences that I had while a student at the Hurricane Island Outward Bound School back in 1991. I'm excited about the latter one, in particular.

But, those aren't ready, yet. So, I'm stealing an idea that many of my friends on Facebook have been doing. It's essentially publishing a list regarding "25 things you didn't know about me."

It's an interesting exercise on Facebook in particular, as I have reconnected with people as far back as grade school there, while I also use it regularly to communicate and share information with people we socialize with here on the island.

For those unfamiliar, Facebook is essentially a social networking website where you make a profile, and have the chance to connect with others as you wish.

I've enjoyed those "25 lists" that others have written, and thought I'd join in. Perhaps you know these things, or perhaps not, which I suppose is kind of the point. I've expanded and edited this version a bit from the one I posted there, but I hope the Spirit remains the same. I enjoyed writing it, and hope you enjoy reading it as well. I hope to have some of the above mentioned columns ready in the coming week. Thanks as always for your support and feedback.

25 things you don't know about me:

1) I have a really nice record collection. Vinyl. Old School stuff. A lot if was my Dad's, but as I grew older, I grew to seek it out myself, and have a collection I am growing proud of. A few items missing though...

2) My Paternal Grandfather was an orphan.

3) I was a Black Studies major in college.

4) I still have every card and every letter that was sent to me after my Father died.

5) During 6th grade until about the middle of 8th grade, I was considered by my school principal a "serious discipline problem." I kinda grew up a little around the middle of the year. Played the Angel Gabriel in the Christmas Pageant that year. Must have been that.

6) When called by said principal during school one day following an incident in Religion class (I was right, that time...) my Mother hung up on her, having had enough calls from her of late, and said, "Call his Father." She did. That is another story though. A good one...may have to write that one here someday...

7) I have boxes of "stuff" from friends and relationships from Junior High all through College, and can still tell you the story of it.

8) I seriously thought about studying to be an Astronomer.

9) I once worked as a garbageman.

10) I planted a Lime Tree in our yard here in Hawaii. (No limes yet)

11) According to our family tree, I am related to one former President and one former First Lady.

12) I watch Wrestling. Professional. Have for years.

13) I once bought a loft at College that my roommate hated, just because I had a crush on the girl I bought it from, and it was a way to spend time with her.

14) I have teared up every time I have seen the scene in "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," where The Battle of Helms Deep is close to ending and King Theoden rides out assuming to his doom, only to find Gandalf, Eomer and the Rhohyrrm, at the top of the hill, poised to charge, and Gandalf says:

"Theoden King stands alone"
And Eomer rides closer, charging replies, "Not alone...TO THE KING!" and they all charge down the hill. Gets me every time.

15) I got an A on the American Studies "Grapes of Wrath" exam, having not read the book, and a D on the "The Great Gatsby" exam, having read it twice and loved it. I went on to teach English. I loved telling my students that story. Some of them got the point.

16) I went through a "scarf" phase in High School, where I wore a different scarf to school, every day, for months, even if it wasn't cold out. I wore the scarf to class, and pretty much all day. It was my trademark.

17) I went on to coach a Championship Soccer team, and be assistant coach for 2 Championship Lacrosse teams, though I never played soccer beyond grade three, and never played organized lacrosse.

18) Once, in a snowstorm, driving a van, I skidded off the road on a long hill. The van was undamaged, but I was stuck. I tried a bunch of times to get out, but I was stuck. I stopped, prayed harder than I ever have in my life, made some specific deals with the Almighty, tried one more time, and got out and home safely. He held up his end, and I have held up mine.

19) I am one of two Dads in the MOMS Club.

20) During summers at the Jersey shore, I sometimes pretended to be English while trying to meet girls while playing pickup basketball games at the old Pacific Avenue Courts. It didn't work.

21) As a kid, I practiced my Grammy Award, Tony Award, and Academy Award acceptance speeches in front of the mirror. Regularly.

22) These days, I imagine my interview with Terry Gross on NPR's "Fresh Air" about my debut novel. I don't practice it in front of the mirror though. At least not until I finish it. OK, maybe once.

23) I have a collection of signed/rare books, including an autographed "To Kill a Mockingbird."

24) My wife and I had our first date at Wendy's. Classy, I know.

25) I still remember the phone number of the first girl who ever gave me her phone number.

So, these were the few that popped into my head while the twins were watching a show and the Bear was napping. Hope you liked it.

How many of them did you know?

No comments: