Wednesday, December 10, 2008

One year in...shall I continue?

One year ago…

It was a rainy morning, and having been up seriously late the night before making sure everything was ready, the weather kind of matched my mood. My sleep during the last night in our old house was somewhat indicative of what the next month’s worth of sleeping would hold, though I didn’t know that at the time.

The gigantic van pulled up and we loaded the car seats and all the stuff we could muster on board, and we drove off to the Philadelphia Airport. It was an uneventful trip until my Mother-in-law phoned to let us know that we had not left her our house keys. She was at our home to oversee the pickup of all of out stuff…

And so we turned around. We gave the keys, and managed to make the plane on time, despite an overzealous security agent thinking that the boyo might have been hiding Al Queda in his “Incredibles” jacket.

And then we just carried on. The flight was a bit rough, and I’ve written about that in this space, and American Airlines made good on my complaints, so I’ll leave it there.

We landed, and the wife’s colleague met us at the airport, and we went to the McDonald’s drive thru, as there was no food on our flights…and then we went directly on to our temporary housing in Waikiki.

We spent the next 4 hours making the apartment, complete with its balcony, and two bedrooms, a kid proof home for our five person family.

It was a difficult transition, but we managed. I remember getting off the plane last year and feeling hot.

And beyond that, we adjusted. It’s been said in this space, and in all honesty, I am considering terminating this column.

The readership is not what I had hoped, and while I appreciate those of you who have read, I do not believe that this space will be greatly missed should it be terminated.

So, if you wish to hear more, please comment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read your BLOG and find it interesting, I was wondering why you ended up in Hawaii, but after reading your blog I figured it out, I wash I was a better writer... I have always found writing to be facintating but I am a terrible speller and not such a good writer, who cares who reads it, its all about you writing....... I would keep it up.
Brian Quigley
I have a blog on my website but we out source it, you could make money by being a blogger!

Anonymous said...

Send me a link when it's updated and I'll read more, my friend! If you enjoy writing, I enjoy reading - I just don't always think to go check it out unless prompted.

Anonymous said...

I would be disappointed if you stopped writing! I always read your columns even if I don't always leave a comment, and I think you are a fantastic writer with a gift for bringing stories to life. I hope you keep it up - it seems like an artistic expression for you, regardless of who is reading, so I hope that if you don't continue here, you at least keep writing!

Anonymous said...

as a fellow blogger i know that sometimes you feel like you are writing to noone but in fact i find sometime i write just to get it out. people read. i know they do, but few people comment. i think you have just certain audiences who have enough courage or time to do it. so its up to you...stop...or dont stop. i check in periodically and enjoy reading whats going on with the fam. i rarely get comments on my blog and thats ok b/c i used mine to document the life of my family and i know my kids (and me) will look back and treasure it. add a counter to your blog and youll know if your actually getting hits! hakuna matata robo!
bridget

SOTGHALZ said...

You know how I feel...I sent you a personal email